Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Attack of the Killer Swans


For my first post I didn't want any insane crazy story to start you off with. I have to keep those for a rainy day. I also can't give you a "That's nothing! One time, I went to the grocery store and they were out of bread" (here's looking at you Horse Whisperer). So I thought maybe I'd test the waters with something that I tried out this weekend at a conference.

This one comes from my European adventure back in 2006. I want to preface that I am a bit of an idiot and thought hey... you're 20 years old and a woman and the only other language you can sorta speak is Spanish... know what would be a GREAT idea? If you backpack around Europe by yourself with no real plans for two weeks... yea that's a fabulous idea. Turns out it actually isn't, it's sorta a terrible idea. I was in Europe by myself because there was a two and a half week window between my Study abroad in Luxembourg and Spain, but I couldn't miss this opportunity! As brilliant as this whole idea may have been- I am however, an idiot and I found myself stranded in Geneva. However lady luck struck when I made friends with a Canadian (Tara) and a Brit (Andrew), who were in the same situation, and we headed out to find a hostel.

After settling in we decide to head out to a world cup game at a local bar. The game was between Germany and Poland, and we happened to be at the German themed bar... of course my first reaction is... this should be fun! One thing leads to another and we all end up drinking quite a bit. Andrew and I are arguing with some Spanish guy who loves George W. Bush who is telling me I don't love my country enough and I had made best friends with a German Atsrophysics Professor (or so he said). Needless to say we had a great time and when Tara, Andrew and I left the bar we thought we should extend the night.

This brings me to the actual story, so we wonder up to Lake Geneva a beautiful tranquil lake with swans peacefully swimming near the edge. Of course Andrew and I thought 'hey, it's hot out- lets go swimming'. So we jump into Lake Geneva (clothes on of course, I am a lady) and we enjoy a quick swim. Well guess who did not like that... the swans did not! We see the swans swimming towards us and our first reaction is, beautiful creatures, let's admire them. Then they gain speed and no longer seem like the elegant and beautiful swan in swan lake, but a genetic mutant of Daffy Duck and a rabid Giraffe and they're only out for your blood. I was far more cautious than Andrew and luckily could escape before the swans did any real harm. Poor Andrew had swans coming at him front every angle, they squawked and bit at him with those bloody beaks. Andrew never made it out of the lake that night....


JK he did... he's fine :) He can never attend a wedding without a crippling fear of Swans though... poor guy

1 comment:

  1. That is such a classic Colleen Story! And I can picture your facial expressions as you are saying it...waiting to read more!

    ReplyDelete